The north of the Médoc peninsular offered exciting investment opportunities for the high society of the time, and Jean-François de Pontet figured among the aristocrats and high-ranking magistrates that shaped the vast horizons of the new Médoc.
Having made his career at Versailles he was appointed Grand Squire of France under Louis XV, and then, after settling in Guyenne, he became the governor of the Médoc. In 1705, he brought together a few acres of land to the north of the village of Pauillac and with them created a vineyard; and then, in 1757, he acquired an estate in a small area known as Canet.
Following the custom of the time, he joined his surname to that of the estate. Thus, in 1781, Château Pontet-Canet was born.